For this Discussion, you will examine various assessments and their purpose, along with validity and reliability. Validity and reliability are two terms rarely discussed in early childhood education. As such, educators often forget their importance. This Discussion will take you step by step through the process of selecting and evaluating assessments for young children. The component of this Discussion will repeat itself with different age groups in this course to allow you to practice effective selection and use of assessments.
• Choose one group from the following: infants, toddlers, or preschool-aged children.
• Then, research and list four different assessments that could be used (one for each: formative, summative, informal, and formal) with the selected group.
• Review the Learning Resources in this module. Specifically, review the Mental Measurements Yearbook and verify the information posted on use, validity, and reliability or find research discussing the selected assessments.
• Read and reflect on the Dalton and Brand (2012); Fuhs, Farran, and Nesbitt (2015); Guddemi, et al. (2014); Pyle and DeLuca (2013); Panturu (2014); MA Child Care Resources (n.d.) (for a list of common assessments); and NBPTS (2012) resources, as well as “The Assessment Presentation” (media) and recommended readings.
Post a brief description of the following:
• What these assessments are used for (cognitive, emotional, linguistic, physical and/or social development, intervention, other emerging content knowledge)
• The strengths and weaknesses of each assessment
• The validity and reliability of the formal instrument
• The data collected from these assessments
• How this information could be used to promote development, as well as guide teaching and learning
• How this information could be shared
• Why and how families could be a part of the assessment process
Note: Cite your research and provide appropriate references in APA format to substantiate your thinking.
Medicare, Medicaid, and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) have had significant impacts on the healthcare industry. Identify what you consider to be the most significant benefits that Medicare, Medicaid, and (HIPAA) have brought to the healthcare industry and the most significant challenges they have presented to decision making in the industry.