Select a condition that has been examined during the course and discuss the following:
History/background/introduction into the condition. Pathophysiology or proposed origin of the condition.
Unit VIII Research Paper
In a 7-10 page paper (not including title page and reference section) with a minimum of 10 references, select a condition that has been examined during the course and discuss the following:
1. History/background/introduction into the condition.
2. Pathophysiology or proposed origin of the condition.
3. Signs/symptoms/hallmarks of the condition.
4. Monitoring parameters of the condition.
5. Identify the available treatment options for this condition.
6. Discuss the mechanism of action of the available treatments (drug classes).
7. Indicate one nationally or internationally recognized treatment guideline for the condition (if application); First line,
second-line, third-line treatment options.
8. Identify and evaluate any recent research findings (within the last five years) about the future direction of treating
the conditions. Are there any significant changes or has it remained the same?
9. Discuss new treatments in the pipeline (if any).
10. Conclusion: Answer the following:
a. Do you think the treatment of this condition is moving in the right direction for improving people’s quality of
life? Why, or why not?
b. Do you feel there are benefits versus risks or vice versa when it comes to the treatment of this condition?
c. Summarize or provide a take home message regarding your discussion of this condition.
Your paper must include the following elements:
An argumentative thesis statement
Headings for the above requirements
Relevant and specific evidence
Paraphrase and quotations from outside sources
It is strongly advised that you select your topic and conduct some research prior to Unit VIII. Starting prior to Unit VIII will allow you the time to communicate with your professor on any questions that you may have and develop a strong topic/thesis. It is also advised that you utilize the resources from the Success Center.