Questions for Study and Review
(you can google to find this textbook)
Textbook: Criminal Law and Procedure for the paralegal, a systems approach, fourth edition. – James W.H. McCord, Sandra L.McCord, C. Suzanne Bailey.
1. Know the basic elements of the crimes discussed in this chapter. why is it important to know the elements of crimes?
2. What various defintions of the beginning and end of life affect homicide cases?
3. What is the dividing line between murder and manslaughter?
4. How are assault and battery related?
5. How does reckless endangerment differ from assault?
6. Compare and contrast terroristic threatening with stalking.
7. What elements of hate crimes are deciding factors when these statuts come under constitutional scrutiny?
8. From whom do the federal civil rights stautes protect citizens?
9. How have social changes affected sex crimes?
10. What are the bases for classification of sex crimes in modern statutes?
11. What is Megan’s Law?
12. How do abuse crimes differ from other assault crimes?
13. what crimes are covered by the Violence Against Women Act?
14. What landmark case changed kidnapping laws in the 1930’s? What currnt phenomenon keeps the penalties stringent?
15. Why has asportation been considered an important element of kidapping?
16. Are elements of involuntary servitude in kidnapping statutes outdated?
17. Why are federal custodial interfernce laws important?
18. Why are crimes against habitation more serious than most other property crimes?
19. What is the mens rea of arson? of Burglary?
ow do modern burglary statutes compare to medieval law? To seventeenth-century law?