Competency 724.8.1: Primary Research – The graduate recognizes basic scientific research concepts and techniques, appreciates the ethics of nursing research, recognizes researchable questions, uses evaluative skills to critique current nursing research, and identifies statistical types.
Competency 724.8.2: Translation of Research Evidence and Evidence Summary –
The graduate applies concepts of nursing research to clinical practice situations, conducts reviews of the literature in relation to therapeutic approaches, and recognizes the importance of theoretical models in nursing practice or research.
724.8.1-01: Critique an original research report for a nursing research article to determine how the researcher addresses the five areas of a research report.
724.8.1-02: Assess the strength of evidence presented in a given literature source on a specified topic.
724.8.1-03: Recognize what ethical issues may arise while conducting a nursing research study.
724.8.1-04: Recommend an appropriate type of research for a given nursing practice purpose.
724.8.1-05: Develop an annotated bibliography of nursing research articles that address a given evidence-based practice issue.
724.8.1-06: Identify types of statistically based tools commonly reported in evidence summaries from nursing research.
724.8.2-01: Use a given preconstructed expert search strategy to locate primary research in a specified major bibliographic database.
724.8.2-02: Identify the key criteria for a well developed evidence summary.
724.8.2-03: Explain why it is important to use a theoretical model for nursing research or practice.
724.8.2-04: Conduct an in-depth review of specified current peer-reviewed research articles to evaluate the efficacy of a specified therapeutic approach to a given clinical practice problem.
724.8.2-05: Recommend a practical application of a given theoretical model based on a review of current research.
724.8.2-06: Evaluate nursing care or management implications of a specified therapeutic nursing intervention based on a review of relevant literature.
It is important that the nurse with a bachelor of science in nursing be able to use research-based studies to inform decision making in the clinical area.
A. Select an article from a nursing research journal and critique the article (suggested length of 2–3 pages) by doing the following:
1. Identify the article you have chosen in an APA-formatted citation.
2. Design a graphic or chart to show how the researcher addressed the five areas of a research report (background information, review of the literature, discussion of methodology, specific data analysis, and conclusion).
3. Based on your analysis of the five areas, assess whether the evidence presented in the research report supports the conclusion (suggested length of 1/2–1 page).
4. Discuss ethical issues that may have arisen for the researcher while conducting the research for the article (suggested length of 1/2–1 page).
5. Discuss the type of research used for the study (suggested length of 1/2–1 page).
a. Explain whether or not other types of research would have been appropriate in the same situation.
B. Conduct a literature search to evaluate nursing care or management implications of a therapeutic nursing intervention by doing the following:
1. Identify a nursing care or management problem for a therapeutic nursing situation.
2. Complete the attached matrix to list 10 primary research sources (peer-reviewed articles) you locate in major medical databases.
Note: Submit your completed matrix as a separate attachment to the task.
Note: Credible sources may include professional journals, research reports, professional Web sites, governmental reports, current texts less than five years old, and presentations from professional meetings.
3. Conduct a review of the 10 peer-reviewed research articles in which you:
a. Develop an annotated bibliography (suggested length of 2–3 pages) of the articles.
Note: An annotated bibliography is one that includes not only a brief summary of content for each book or article reviewed, but also contains other relevant comments and information that the candidate believes can be of help for future study. See Web Links below for more information on annotated bibliographies.
b. Discuss whether the researchers present a case for the efficacy of a specified therapeutic approach.
c. Identify whether the researchers chose tools that were similar or different.
d. Discuss whether you believe the tools the researchers chose could have affected their results.
4. Develop an evidence summary of the articles, identifying what key criteria were used to develop it (suggested length of 1/2–1 page).
5. Recommend a specific nursing strategy based on the theoretical models and evidence you found in your review (suggested length 1/2 page).
6. Explain why you believe it is important to use a theoretical model for nursing research (suggested length of 1/2–1 page